Assistant Professor in Linguistics at Concordia University in Montréal, Québec. Working with corpora to research the effect of prosodic boundaries on phonetic/phonological processes applying across word boundaries. Driven to understand the relationship between phonological knowledge, speech production planning, and variation in spontaneous speech. Thinking about scalar particles, focus alternatives, and word-internal morpho-syntax on the side. Nice to meet you.
- July 5, 2018
- I will be giving a talk at the Comparative Perspectives on the Production and Processing of Prosody Symposium, organized by the Centre for Research on Brain Language and Music. The title is "The effect of phrasing and frequency on phonological variation." The slides are available here.
- Speech production planning affects variation in external sandhi. July 2017. PhD thesis, McGill University. [lingbuzz]
- Boundary phenomena and variability in Japanese high vowel devoicing.(with Morgan Sonderegger). 2017. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11049-017-9368-x
- Speech production planning affects phonological variability: a case study in French liaison. To appear in the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting on Phonology 2016, October 21-23, 2016. University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. [lingbuzz]
- The effect of production planning locality on external sandhi: A study in /t/. (with Michael Wagner & Meghan Clayards).To appear in the Proceedings of the 52nd Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society, April 21-23, 2016. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. [lingbuzz]
- Embedded exhaustification: evidence from almost. Journal of Semantics. [read online] doi: 10.1093/jos/ffw002
- Phase domains at PF: Root suppletion and its implications.(with Heather Newell, Maire Noonan & Lisa Travis). To appear in Heidi Harley and Daniel Siddiqi (eds), Morphological metatheory. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. [abstract]
- Almost: scope and covert exhaustification. Proceedings of the 32nd West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics. 121-30. Cascadilla Proceedings Project: Somerville, MA. [pdf]
- "Speech production planning affects variability in connected speech." 2016 Annual Meeting on Phonology, October 21-23, 2016. University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. [slides]
- "Locality and variability in cross-word alternations: a production planning account" (with Michael Wagner & Meghan Clayards). (poster) 15th Meeting of the Association for Laboratory Phonology (LabPhon 15), July 13-16, 2016. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. [poster pdf].
- "The effect of production planning locality on external sandhi: A study in /t/" (with Michael Wagner & Meghan Clayards). 52nd Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society, April 21-23, 2016. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- "The role of production planning in allophonic variability". October 2, 2015. Speech production, cognitive processes and big data workshop. Centre for Research on Brain, Language and Mind, Montreal, QC. [slides]
- "The influence of prosodic context on high vowel devoicing in spontaneous Japanese". 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, August 10-14, 2015. SECC Glasgow, Scotland, UK. [slides]
- “The influence of prosodic boundaries on high vowel devoicing in Japanese” (poster). 14th Conference on Laboratory Phonology, July 25–27, 2014. National Institute for Japanese Linguistics.
- “Almost: scope and covert exhaustification”. Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal semantics workshop, April 12, 2014. University of Toronto. [handout - pdf]
- “Vowel devoicing in spontaneous Japanese”. Montreal-Ottawa- Laval-Toronto phonology workshop, March 22–23, 2014. McGill University.
- “Almost: scope and covert exhaustification”. 32nd West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics, March 7–9, 2014. University of Southern California.
- “Almost evaluating propositional alternatives”. 2013 Meeting of the Canadian Linguistic Association, June 1–3, 2013. University of Victoria.
- “Refining the typology of scalar particles: evidence from Spanish ni and ni siquiera”. Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal semantics workshop, March 23, 2013. McGill University.
- “Feature-Changing Rules are Necessary” (with Eric Iacono & Charles Reiss) . Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto phonology workshop.
- Mailing Address
Department of Classics, Modern Languages and Linguistics
1455 de Maisonneuve Ouest